Friday, February 1, 2013

Jake and the Neverland Pirates Birthday Cake


Yo ho ho! One of my favorite little guys just turned 5 last weekend! To help him celebrate such an important birthday I had the honor of creating his birthday cake for the fourth year in a row! This year he wanted Jake and the Neverland Pirates Theme! Let's just say Joshua is definitely paving the way for me and teaching me all kinds of things about what little boys like so I'll know what to expect as our little Sam gets older. We have just recently started turning on the tv for Sam to watch Disney Jr. and luckily I happened to catch a glimpse at Jake and the Neverland Pirates about a week before I made Joshua's birthday cake. I was getting a little worried that I would have no clue how to decorate a cake for a show I had never seen before! Luckily I was able to pick up a few of the key characters, Jake, Tick Tock Croc and Captain Hook at the store to use for cake toppers. In the past I have always created round cakes for Joshua so I thought it would be fun to switch things up this year and create a sheet cake to appear as both water and sand with a treasure hunt. Using some brown tinted fondant I made a map with the birthday boys name and age with a trail towards the treasure and crumbled crushed graham crackers on top to resemble sand. I had looked high and low for some gold deblumes at various stores and came up empty handed...what was I to do? Luckily Mardi Gras is in full swing right now and we just happened to go to the first parade the day before I needed to make this cake. And what do you know, the first float that comes by throws silver coins! Hooray...I finally have the treasure for the cake! I also added a strand of gold Mardi Gras beads. Joshua and his friends all loved the cake!

Hope you all enjoy the Jake Cake too!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails