Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Farm Animal Sugar Cookies - 1st Birthday!

This past weekend my friend Andrea's little boy, Drew celebrated his 1st birthday! Andrea had asked me to make a farm themed cake for the party months ago, but seeing as I live in AL and she is in KY, I just knew there was no way I felt comfortable making and decorating a cake to ship in the mail. So I offered up the next best thing...cookies! The party was at a local farm with a petting zoo, hay ride and pumpkin patch for all the kids! What a great way to spend a fall afternoon outdoors! So to go along with the farm theme and one of Drew's favorite toys, the Farmer Tad Magnetic Fridge Set I thought it would be fun to make some farm animal cookies.

I used this sugar cookie recipe. All the cookie cutters were from Sur La Table. Unfortunately, they did not have a cow cutter, which I was so bummed about...every farm has cows doesn't it?

After making the cookies and letting them cool I piped the outline in royal icing. There were sheep, chicks, horses...

barns and pigs...

Once the outline was dry, I flooded the cookies with a thinned down royal icing.

I let the cookies dry overnight to harden before adding on the final details.

Then it was time to add the horses tail, sheep fur and the barn doors.

And the curly tail on the pigs.

Here's the final farm cookie collection.

Can't forget the number "1" for the birthday boy!

I packaged all the cookies individually to keep them safe during shipping. Apparently they all made it safely except for the little horses, they broke into several pieces, the poor guys!

I added a little present for the birthday boy too. I can't believe I stumbled across this farm puzzle that matched the cookies I was sending!

Happy 1st Birthday Drew!

1 comment:

  1. What adorable little cookies. I'm so impressed with your decorating skills.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails