Saturday, December 12, 2009

Countdown to Christmas Day 12: Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate


Happy Dec 12th! It has been a cold, rainy, soggy day here in Mobile...a day perfect for a nice cup of hot chocolate! I had all intentions of throwing on this recipe for slow cooker hot chocolate early this morning before I left to go run a half marathon in the freezing cold rain...but I got up a little too late, 6:30AM and didn't quite have time to get things together before I had to rush out the door for the race. I know what you are thinking...6:30AM...late??? Yes, on a typical Saturday I am normally up around 4:30ish preparing for my Saturday long run marathon training day. Today was a day where I got to sleep in a little later because we ran a race that didn't start until 8:30AM. Normally by 8:30 AM I am finishing up my miles for the day while most of you are probably just rolling out of bed. I am a morning person though and don't mind waking up early and getting in some good miles of running, knowing that afterwards I will have the rest of the day ahead of me to relax, watch movies, run errands, or hang out with family and friends. So since I was running late this morning, it was out the door, no hot chocolate in the crockpot, and I would have to wait until later in the day to enjoy this hot drink to warm me up.


How cute are these snowman mugs? These are going to be perfect for my homemade hot chocolate.


I had a backup plan for making this recipe though. My friend Molly had invited Randolph and I to go to the Nutcracker tonight. So I thought I would put on the hot chocolate before we left for the ballet and then by the time we got home it would be ready to drink! What a great idea...and then we could enjoy a cup with some Christmas cookies for dessert! We just got home from the Nutcracker a little while ago so now I am enjoying a cup of the hot chocolate as I type up this post. This is definitely what I needed to warm me up, after such a cold and rainy day, and the rain is still coming down like buckets out side.


Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
5 1/2 cups fat free milk
1 (14 oz) can fat free sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon vanilla

  • Put cocoa and 1 cup of milk in crockpot, and whisk until blended.
  • Add remaining ingredients and whisk.
  • Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
  • Pour into mugs and add marshmallows.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails