Sunday, October 18, 2009

Pink for the Cure!

Today marks the one year anniversay that I ran my first marathon (that is 26.2 miles!) last year in San Franciso at the Nike Women's Marathon as a member of Team in Training (TNT), an organization that raises money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society! Today there was another group of Mobile, AL TNT members out in San Fran running that race so I have been cheering them on from home all day...and can't wait to hear all about their marathon experiences! In celebration of my marathon anniversary, the new marathoners as of today and to support cancer in general I wanted to make something sweet! Since October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month I wanted to make some pink ribbon shaped sugar cookies. I used Pillsbury refrigerated sugar cookie dough and rolled it out flat. I do not have a ribbon shaped cookie cutter so I had to get creative....


Once the dough was rolled out flat I cut it into strips


Then I rolled each strip into a long string of dough


and made it criss-cross into a ribbon shape...so far so good right?


Ribbon cookies ready to go into the oven....let's see what happens when they bake



ooops...they poofed up and ran together, looking more like a blob than a ribbon...I thought I had a good idea, but next time I will need to rethink this a bit more, taking into consideration what will happen once they are put in the oven.


I gave it another try and decided this time to dye some of the dough with some Wilton pink icing color. I dipped a toothpick into the icing jar and just added it to the dough and kneeded it with my hands until it turned pink.


I remembered I did have an Easter bunny cookie cutter shape, so I thought if I turned it upside down the "bunny ears" would now become the "tails" of the pink ribbons....


Then I used one of my decorating tips to cut out a circular hole in the ribbon


Not too bad for improvising a ribbon cookie cutter


After the cookies cooled I dipped them in an icing glaze of 1 cup powdered sugar, a couple splashes of milk and red food coloring and stirred until desired consistency and color.


After adding some pink icing and some pink sugar sprinkles to dress up the cookies a bit, I guess they didn't turn out that bad afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails